Stay Legal with your Craft

There are certain products that need to be tested before sale. There are others where you need to ensure the parts you are using are compliant. You also need to ensure you label correctly. This article is by no means exhaustive and is applicable to those in the UK. I will do a full article on this eventually but here is a quick overview. Please do further research in your own field once you have used this article for pointers.

Items made for children need a CE mark. You need to perfect your item and send it to be tested. You then need to be sure you make that item exactly the same each time. Same fabric, same stuffing, same everything. This applies to items children play with. Arguably hair bows, bedroom decor, jewellery are all potential play things and I think youíd find it difficult to argue this with a trading standards officer so better be safe than sorry, not to mention the possibility of actually injuring a child.

Candles should be labelled with their ingredients. CLP, classification, labelling and packaging is an EU regulation which was recently made relevant to candles. It ensures that the candles donít contain harmful ingredients and makes people aware of any allergens. Most reputable candle making suppliers will be able to sell you labels relevant to their own products but it is important not to then use these labels on other things that you make.

Jewellery should be made with parts that do not exceed regulated nickel levels. You donít have to send away for testing but do have to ensure you are working with a reputable supplier for your parts.

Clothing should be labelled with correct care information.

Soap and cosmetics need to be fully tested by a registered company. You perfect your product, or range of products, and then send a sample of each away to be tested. You must then make each of these products exactly the same every single time. This includes things right down to the brand of scent you are using. An internet search for Ďsoap testing ukí will bring up a wealth of additional information.

Dog food and treats also need to fully labelled. The Pet Food Manufacturing Association have comprehensive guidelines on their website You also need to ensure that pet products are fit for purpose and safe for use. For example, cat collars with elastic or a breakaway clasp, dog collars with solid cast buckles and rings, the list is endless.

Food and beverages need to be safely and hygienically produced and stored. You need to label them with allergens and packaged food needs to be labelled with ingredients. You should be registered with your local council so that they can visit your premises and issue a food hygiene rating. Not bothering to register is not a way round the law. Contact your local council for more information.

Iím sure there are more Iíve not thought of. Feel free to send me an email if thereís anything crucial Iíve missed.

Thanks for reading - You can read my full blog including checklists and templates over at the website linked in my profile.


Members of the site post information to both educate and entertain, if you would like to comment or add to the post with your own content, then please:

Join or Login

UKCraftFairs - Members blog posts

Members of the site can create their own blog, posting about things that relate to thier business or craft.